Thursday, November 10, 2016

Day 2

Because this week has to have all the things... we had parent teacher conferences tonight.  And schedule changes at work leading to a hectic, nonstop workday that was, incidentally, 13.5 hours long.  I am almost too tired to move my fingers.  My nonstop day was great for covering my sorrows with a veneer of busy normalcy... not so good for keeping up with expanding circle of facebook groups and online petitions.  Activism in the digital age....

Day 2 Accomplishments:

Got up.  Made it to the gym.  Totally killed it in my Bosu class.  If I am going to fight for social justice, I better damn well be able to make it through 4 minutes of jump-squats.

Taught my students with enthusiasm and love.  Focused on being conscious of my time with these kids, and choosing gentleness in my interactions with them.  As much as is possible with middle schoolers, anyway.

Worked out the details of my Holiday Hands giving project.  All set but for the shopping and sending.  Had a nice back and forth email exchange with one of the families.  Lots of blessing going on.

Did NOT keep up with my facebook notifications.  Decided that was ok.

Thought up a great plan for writing letters to Senators and Representatives who do NOT support Trump (democrat and republican alike), imploring them to consider a wide variety of important issues related to equity as they vote on legislation.  Drafted quite the amazing, eloquent missive in my head while driving.  Did NOT manage to write any of it down.  (see: nonstop day, above). But I think I *will*.  I think I will type my drafts here but then handwrite the letters.  On that nice stationary where you have the cardstock with dark lines that you place underneath, so your writing is all neat and not sloping downwards on the page.  Adds more meaning, that work of writing by hand.  Not that my little letters will do too much.  But it is an ACTION, you know?  More so than clicking "like" or adding my name to a list of electronic "signatures"  (which I did 3 times today because who knows?  It might work.) And I am eager for all of these feelings to transfer into action, keep the momentum going, right now before we acclimate to the "new normal" of our country.

Read books with my kids. Snuggled my bunny.

Introduced myself to my latest online feminist group.  Noted that all of us on said group are pretty much the same.  Lots of white, 30-something inner ring mamas.  Made plans to get together with my own group of white, 30 something inner ring mamas tomorrow night. Indulged in a brief moment of superiority in which I became convinced that people JUST LIKE ME are obviously the nicest.  Realized that line of thinking is pretty much the opposite of my process here.  Decided to cut that shit out.

Mantra, on repeat:  It's a process, its a process.  Patience.

Read posts about violence towards women and minorities.  Decided there is no time for patience.

Off to ask my groups if anyone has already compiled that list of Senators.  I'm going to have some downtime at conferences tomorrow.  I plan to use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors