Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Categories

I'm posting here a list of categories I plan to tackle.  Dealing with this mess of a house in part-acts.

Marie advises working in order, from clothes, to books, to papers, to komono (Japanese for miscellany, which is a very large category around these parts), to sentimental items.

So far, it seems I am not being very true to the method, as I've jumped right in to komono..

I hope to get back in order soon but it turns out that the first three categories are SO vast and all encompassing that I have not been up to taking them on, in the limited time I have to devote to this project.  I have this feeling that Marie works mostly with single people living in single rooms or small homes, not people trying to organize the clothes, books and papers for an entire household...

I am hopeful that breaking things down will help me feel more empowered.

Please feel free to comment and add category ideas!

Clothing (per person):
Exercise clothes/ swimwear
loungewear/pajamas
Socks
Coats
sweaters
daily wear-- summer
daily wear-- winter
shoes
accessories -- bags, scarves, belts etc
jewelry- done!

Books-- subdivided by person:
reference
fiction
sentimenal (old textbooks, etc)

Papers:
household files
school-related
saved papers for each child
photo albums

Linens:
towels/washcloths
cleaning rags
sheets/blankets

Dishes:
Mugs- done!
glasses
plates/bowls
pots/pans/baking
tupperware/storage/travel mugs
misc cooking
serveware
display/special dishes -- what do I do about those??

food:
baking
pantry

Medicine cabinet supplies

Games
Art supplies- done!
Scrapbooking supplies
Office supplies
notebooks/paper

Toys:
Building toys
play kitchen
dress up
puzzles
pretending sets
miscellaneous

Tools
hardware
electrical cords/lightbulbs/batteries
small appliances

picture frames/art/framed photos

Sports gear (skiing etc)
camping supplies
laundry supplies

Basement  (on here as a reminder that I fully intend to get rid of 80% of what is down there, regardless of category, with the exception of my holiday decorations which are sacrosanct.  Kidding.  They're just stored already and I'll deal with them as each holiday rolls around...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors