Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September 13

I am grateful for  a lot today.  It's been a good day, actually.  A really good day.

I am grateful that I go to take Jack to his first day of Pre-K, to tell him to smile for his pictures on the front step and in front of the St Paul's sign, to watch him excitedly show me his name tag, the blocks, the clips he liked playing with at Meet the Teacher.   To meet, albeit briefly, the other children he'll be spending his days with, to see the space they'll share, carefully prepped and abuzz with emotion from the 14 little people and their parents all crowded in. I am grateful for that moment, watching Nat come out with him towards the car when (sleeping Ivy and) I came to pick him up, the huge grin on his face, all pink from outdoor play.  "I LOVED it, Mom!!"

I love him.  And I am so grateful for him.  So grateful that he loves learning and school and is confident, that we left him with his teacher with a "see you later!" and nary a backward glance, knowing he'd be fine.  Grateful that he is finding friends in his class and joy in his days.

I am grateful that I had my dentist appointment today, that I have sick time to take a half day off work, that I could finagle it to make this afternoon happen.  Even if it meant a root canal to fix my broken tooth.

I am grateful for novacaine.

I am grateful for dinner swap meals that serve up in 5 minutes.

I am grateful for the West Shore Chorale, for the luscious layers of Mendelsohn chords, for the sensible harmonics of Haydn, for the pure endorphins of joining my voice with others to make music.

I am grateful for walks to the library, for the easy comfort of our neighborhood, for greetings and chats with the people and dogs we know.

I am grateful for a sunny-breezy evening and a pink cloud-layered sky.

I am grateful for CityFresh, just for its existence, even if we didn't buy shares this summer.  Just seeing those tables laden with produce, people and dogs and children milling about with their reusable bags and their camaraderie.  Reminding me of why I love our neighborhood.

I am grateful for my children who love to play together, all of a sudden.  For jumping on the bed time, for playing "baby" with stuffed toys and blankies.  For the way Ivy ran laps around the children's area in the library, her sleep sheep wrapped tightly in a burp cloth and clutched to her chest, determined feet stomping, a girl on a mission, 3 times around before she came in and set her "baby"  ("bee-- beeeee?" as she says it) carefully on one of the giant giraffe-shaped floor puzzle pieces.

I love her.  And I am grateful that she is a happy and opinionated and interesting little girl who never gives us a dull moment.  As Grandma Gertie consoled my mother years ago-- "You wouldn't want a boring child, would you??"

Nope, I wouldn't.

But I would take more days like today.

1 comment:

Visitors